Airpush Pros and Cons: Best Mobile App Ad Networks in 2017
Airpush offers aggressive monetization methods for mobile app developers and publishers looking to squeeze more revenue. In addition to common and traditional display ad units, Airpush offers monetization via video ads, advanced overlays, rich media, and push notifications that appear in the notification slide-down trays on Android devices. Although these more aggressive monetization strategies may be off-putting to a lot of users, Airpush is able to boast high eCPMs.
- What We Like: Revolutionary monetization methods, compliance with Google Play Store Developer Guidelines.
- What We Don’t Like: Monetization methods result in an off-putting user experience.
Airpush Company Stats
Airpush Support & Contact Information
- Address: 11400 W Olympic Blvd Ste 200, Los Angeles CA 90064
- Phone Number: 877-944-2490
- Support Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Publisher Terms: http://www.airpush.com/developer_agreement/
- Traffic Minimum: None.
- Publisher Language Requirement: There is no specific language requirement.
- Prohibited Publisher Content: There is no content that is explicitly prohibited by the Airpush Developer Agreement; however, developers are expected to be in compliance with the Google Play Developer Program Policies, which does have certain content restrictions.
Advertisers & Offers
- Advertising Types: Mobile App Monetization.
- Offer Types: CPA, CPC, CPM.
- Verticals: All.
- Network Size: 100,000+ mobile apps amd 10,000+ live campaigns.
- Sampling of Publishers: Unknown.
Airpush Tech Implementation Rating: 4 out of 5.
- Creating an Ad Unit: Creating and implementing an ad unit for a mobile app is definitely more of a chore than it is for creating a simple display ad unit for a website. Unless you’re well-versed in app development, you’ll need help from an app developer to implement the XML code. To create the unit in the dashboard, click the “Add Application” button, then fill out the app info and select ad formats and targeting options. Then, download the SDK and drop the Jar file into your app project. Additional instruction is available in their AirSDK 1.0 for Play Store Documentation.
- Display Ad Unit Sizes Available: SmartWall, banner, push notifications, icons, rich media, video ads.
- Implementation Technology: Airpush AirSDK Jar File and XML.
- Compatible with Google AdSense: N/A.
- Mobile Ad Units Available: Yes.
- WordPress Plugin Available: N/A.
Publisher Reporting & Admin Control Panel
Airpush Publisher Reporting & Admin Control Panel Rating: 5 out of 5.
- Control Panel: The Airpush publisher control panel has a sleek layout and user interface. It is easy to use and navigate with top-level pages for payments, reports, helpdesk, API, user settings, and of course the homepage (dashboard). Upon first logging in, the dashboard displays a list of all of the developer’s ad types across all applications, with the current day’s numbers for impressions, CPM, and earnings. For quick reference, the account’s API key is always displayed at the top of this home dashboard page.
- Reporting: The reporting section of the Airpush control panel is easy to use, yet very powerful. Developers/Publishers are able to generate reports by ad platform (push notification ads, icon ads, smartwall, or banner ads) and/or application name. Metrics available include new installs, impressions, CPM, and earnings over time. A report can be generated over any custom date range. Custom reports with additional options can also be saved and easily re-generated at any time.
- Control Panel URL: http://manage.airpush.com/publishers/publishers/
Airpush Payment Rating: 4 out of 5.
- Publisher’s Share of Revenue: Not disclosed.
- Payment Methods Available: ACH, PayPal, Wire Transfer.
- Payment Terms: Weekly payments.
- Minimum Payout Threshold: $50.
Airpush Account Help Rating: 3 out of 5.
- Knowledge Base URL: http://www.airpush.com/resources/faqs/
- Personal Account Manager: No.
- Easy to Contact Support: Yes.
Airpush is one of the preeminent mobile app monetization platforms, boasting over 100,000 applications that use their service. Airpush offers a wide range of monetization options for app developers, including standard in-app banner ads, push notification ads, icon ads, rich media, video, and SmartWall ads.
Standard in-app banner ads are exactly what they sound like: static or rich media display ads of varying sizes that are displayed within the application. Push ads are more intrusive on the user: they display in the notification tray of Android devices, alongside other alerts, which can certainly be off-putting to your users.
But, consider that these units can achieve 10 times the revenue that banners alone do, according to AirPush. Icon ads are sponsored shortcut icons that are placed on Android device homescreens. SmartWall monetization is engineered to automatically display the optimum type of ad format out of rich media, dialog, video, and AppWall, based on performance and current network connection type.
Implementing an Airpush ad unit within an app is not for the feint of heart, particularly if you’re a Web publisher who is just dabbling in the art of mobile app monetization for the first time. You’ll definitely want an experienced mobile app developer to assist with proper implementation of the AirPush Jar file and XML code into your application.
This is not a criticism of Airpush, but rather is simply a function of the complexity involved in developing and monetizing any mobile app with any monetization platform in 2016. It’s just not as simple as creating and monetizing a blog.
To create an ad unit in the Airpush control panel, navigate to the dashboard and click the “Add Application” button. Fill in the information for the app, including name, URL, category, and sub-category.
On the ensuing screen, you’ll need to select options for how you want to target your audience and what kind(s) of ad units you want to display. There are a lot of options on this screen, but that’s a good thing in that it affords a high degree of customization.
As far as targeting is concerned for push ads, there are options to delay the display of the first ad for a certain number of days; you can also opt to display ads to all users or only to users who have been inactive for a specified number of days. There is also an option to limit the number of ads that each user sees in a single day. There is also one targeting option for icon ads, which gives you the ability to throttle the number of icon ads each user sees every month.
For SmartWall ads, you can opt to display AppWall ads, dialog ads, landing page ads, rich media full page ads, and/or overlay ads.
The Airpush admin control panel offers a sleek interface and is easily navigable. Reports are relatively easy to create and offer a high degree of customization and granularity, so you can get to the heart of the data that you’re looking for.
Payments are timely (with an option to be remitted weekly) and the options for receiving payment are plentiful (ACH, PayPal, and wire transfer).
While Airpush does not provide new accounts with a dedicated support rep, contacting support is fairly simple, with options to fill out a contact form, email, or even call.
Unfortunately, they do not offer an in-depth support knowledge base or forum as many other ad networks do. But they do provide an FAQ page that answers some of the most common questions.
Overall, we recommend Airpush as one of a select few viable options to use when attempting to monetize a mobile application.